Same Day Response
Last weekend, we met a family of nine from Afghanistan who had recently arrived in Oregon. They wore the only clothes they had with them and lacked food and other staples. They were staying temporarily in a hotel before being placed in long-term housing, and shared that they didn’t have family members or friends here to help them.
As soon as we heard about their situation, we were able to respond in the same day, bringing them:
• Groceries – Potatoes, rice, bread, Halal meats, tomato sauce, cooking ingredients, and other staples
• Gift Cards – $250 to fill in key food needs for their family
• Electric skillets – To cook food in their hotel room
• Restart Kits – Kitchen essentials along with personal care toiletries. As they move into an apartment, they’ll receive bedding, bathroom items, and the essential items they need.
• Clothing – Winter coats, sweaters, and other warm weather clothing
• Laptop – To keep them connected to community resources and family members back home
We showed this family where to find markets to shop from so they have the ability to find culturally appropriate foods, and paired them with mentors who are offering friendship and tangible support.
We were able to respond because of our partners, volunteers, and community members who continue to value coming alongside our refugee neighbors who are seeking refuge after fleeing war. While they have a long journey of rebuilding ahead, we will be there to walk alongside each step of the way.
Subscribe to our newsletter