Restart Kits Program
Refugees arrive to Oregon with few possessions, and have to quickly build their lives again. Restart kits are plastic tubs filled with essential household items, and a complete set is formed by eight unique restart kits – one for each area of the home. The kits are received by newly arriving families and individuals, meeting a tangible need and communicating a message of welcome better than anything else initially can. It’s a first step in saying, “You are not alone. We are for you. You are welcome here.”
Needed Restart Kits & Other Items
• Kitchen 1: 58
• Kitchen 2: 72
• Personal Care: 7
• Bathroom: 13
• Twin Bedding: 17
• Queen Bedding: 0
• Cleaning: 80
• Welcome: 68
• Baby (diaper sizes 5 & 6): 10
• School Supplies (K-5): 5
• School Supplies (Middle School & High School): 22
• Laptop (2018 or newer): 10
• Gift Cards to Fred Meyer or Target: Always accepting in increments of $25, up to $250 per gift card.
How To Build A Restart Kit
• View the Restart Kit List or School Supplies List and choose the one you want to build.
• Gather new items and place them in a plastic tub or box that can close. Please do not tape the container.
• Consider including a handwritten and unsealed welcome note with your kit, after reading our Welcome Note Guidelines.
• Label the top of the container with the restart kit name.
• Drop off at the next Collection Day! Fill out the RSVP Form with what restart kit(s) you’re bringing.
Refugee Care Collection Days
Collection Events for 2022 have finished, all dates below are for 2023.
These events are hosted at our Tigard Warehouse: 10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, Portland, OR 97223.
• Saturday, January 21st from 10am-1pm
• Saturday, February 18th from 10am-1pm
• Saturday, March 18th from 10am-1pm
• Saturday, April 15th from 10am-1pm
• Saturday, May 20th from 10am-1pm
• Saturday, June 17th from 10am-1pm
We ask that you drop your donation off at the back of the building (warehouse door: F3b). You’ll find us at the welcome mat!
Host A Collection Event
We partner with faith communities, schools, and businesses to gather restart kits for newly arriving families. In order to meet the needs of newly arriving refugee families, we’re working to partner with 8 communities each month to gather restart kits. If you would like to host a Collection Event with your community and gather 10 or more restart kits, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or schedule an event in 2023 here. Thank you!