Restart Kits Program
Refugees arrive to Oregon with few possessions, and have to quickly build their lives again. Restart kits are plastic tubs filled with essential household items, and a complete set is formed by eight unique restart kits – one for each area of the home. The kits are received by newly arriving families and individuals, meeting a tangible need and communicating a message of welcome better than anything else initially can. It’s a first step in saying, “You are not alone. We are for you. You are welcome here.”
• Build a restart kit, or supply other needed items listed below (school supplies, new or gently used winter coats, or a 2017 or newer laptop or tablet).
• Mail a Fred Meyer or Target gift card to the warehouse address below, or bring to an upcoming Collection Day.
• Please note: Our warehouse is not regularly staffed. Please only drop off restart kits during the scheduled Collection Days below. At this time, we ask that all items in restart kit items be new to honor those newly arriving in Oregon.
Needed Restart Kits & School Supplies
Fill out the RSVP Form and we’ll update these numbers to show the remaining need.
• School Supplies (K-5 Backpacks): 41
• School Supplies (Middle School & High-School): 42
• Kitchen 1: 35
• Kitchen 2: 15
• Personal Care: 0
• Bathroom: 42
• Twin Bedding: 50
• Queen Bedding: 0
• Cleaning: 15
• Welcome: 20
• Baby (diaper sizes 5, 6, 2T/3T & 4T/5T): 28
You can drop off kits at one of our scheduled collection days below, or if you gather 10+ restart kits, email us to schedule a separate day/time.
How To Build A Restart Kit
• View the Restart Kit List or School Supplies List and choose the one you want to build.
• Fill out the RSVP Form with what restart kit(s) you’re bringing.
• Gather new items and place them in a plastic tub or box that can close. Please do not tape the container.
• Consider including a handwritten and unsealed welcome note with your kit, after reading our Welcome Note Guidelines.
• Label the top of the container with the restart kit name.
• Drop the kit off at the next Collection Day!
Refugee Care Collection Days in 2022
• Saturday, October 22nd from 10am-1pm – New/Gently Used Winter Coats & Restart Kits
• Saturday, November 19th from 10am-1pm – Holiday Drive: Restart Kits & Gift Cards
Warehouse Address: 10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, Portland, OR 97223. We ask that you drop your donation off at the back of the building (warehouse door: F3b). You’ll find us at the welcome mat!
Host A Collection Day
We partner with schools, faith communities, and businesses to gather restart kits. If you would like to host a Collection Day with your community, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can drop off kits at one of our scheduled collection days above, or if you gather over ten restart kits, we can schedule a separate drop-off. Thank you!