Restart Kits Program
In addition to restart kits, we also need laptops and tablets. Details on laptop and tablet donations can be found here. Thank you for your support!
Refugees arrive to Oregon with few possessions, and have to quickly build their lives again. Restart kits are plastic tubs filled with essential household items. A complete set is formed by eight unique restart kits, one for each area of the home. The kits are distributed to local resettlement agencies, service providers, and community members who give them directly to newly arrived families and those in need.
With each restart kit that’s put together, we’re reminded that it’s small actions that change realities. While kits meet a practical need, they do much more. They symbolize hope and communicate the message of welcome better than anything else initially can. It’s a first step in saying, “You are not alone. We are for you. You are welcome here.”
• Mailing a gift card for Fred Meyer to the warehouse address below, or bring in person to an upcoming Collection Day.
• Building a restart kit, supplying new or gently used winter coats, or donating a 2017 or newer laptop or tablet at an upcoming Collection Day. The most needed restart kits are Cleaning, Bedding, and Welcome.
Before you build a restart kit, please note:
• Our warehouse is not regularly staffed. Please only drop off restart kits during the scheduled Collection Days below. We are so grateful for your donation, but our team doesn’t have the capacity for added drop-offs.
• At this time, we ask that all items in restart kits be new, to honor those newly arriving to Portland. We are not able to accept items that are not listed here. We do not accept clothing, apart from new or gently used winter coats.
• Our most needed kits are: Cleaning, Bedding, and Welcome.
• If you are planning to schedule a drive / collection, please email us first. We may not have the capacity to accept the donations. We are scheduling drives / collections through this year.
How To Build A Restart Kit
• View the Restart Kit List and choose the one you want to build.
• Gather new items and place them in a plastic tub or box that can close. Please do not tape the container.
• Consider including a handwritten and unsealed welcome note with your kit, after reviewing our Welcome Note Guidelines.
• Label the top of the container with the restart kit name.
• Drop the kit off at the next Collection Day!
Refugee Care Collection Days in 2022:
• Saturday, July 23rd from 10am-1pm – RSVP by filling out this form. Thank you for your support!
• Saturday, October 22nd from 10am-1pm
Warehouse Address: 10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, Portland, OR 97223
Added Directions: We ask that you drop your donation off at the back of the building (warehouse door: F3b). You’ll find us at the welcome mat!
Host A Collection Day
We partner with schools, faith communities, and businesses to gather restart kits. If you would like to host a Collection Day with your community, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can drop off kits at one of our scheduled collection days above, or if you gather over ten restart kits, we can schedule a separate drop-off. We also ask our partners to consider gathering gift cards for families or giving a financial distribution to cover warehouse expenses. Thank you!