Restart Kits Program
Refugees arrive to Oregon with few possessions, and have to quickly build their lives again. Restart kits are plastic tubs filled with essential household items. A complete set is formed by eight unique restart kits, one for each area of the home. The kits are distributed to local resettlement agencies, service providers, and community members who give them directly to newly arrived families and those in need.
With each restart kit that’s put together, we’re reminded that it’s small actions that change realities. While kits meet a practical need, they do much more. They symbolize hope and communicate the message of welcome better than anything else can. It’s a first step in saying, “You are not alone. We are for you. You are welcome here.”
To the city of Portland: We’re grateful for all the ways you continue to show up. Because of you, our refugee friends have bedding, pots and pans, bath towels, and tea. Apartments have been turned into homes. The burden of adapting to life in a new country is shared, and our newest neighbors from across the world know that you are for them.
How To Build A Restart Kit:
• View the Restart Kit List and choose the one you want to build.
• Gather new items and place them in a plastic tub or box that can close. Please do not tape the container.
• Consider including a handwritten and unsealed welcome note with your kit, after reviewing our Welcome Note Tips.
• Label the top of the container with the restart kit name.
• Drop the kit off at the next Collection Day!
• Bring gift cards from IKEA, Trader Joe’s, Winco, Target, or Fred Meyer a Collection Day or mail them to the warehouse address below (addressed to Refugee Care Collective).
Refugee Care Collection Days:
• Saturday, 12/19 from 12-3 PM – Tigard Warehouse (10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, 97223)
• Saturday, 1/23 from 12-3 PM – Tigard Warehouse (10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, 97223)
Due to COVID-19, we are hosting “no contact” collection days, with physical distancing. The drop-off will occur outdoors, and we’re asking volunteers and those dropping off donations to keep at least six feet from one another as well.
The RCC warehouse is not regularly staffed. Please only drop off restart kits during the scheduled Collection Days above. Unless otherwise noted above, collection days are hosted at the RCC warehouse, located at 10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, Portland, OR 97223. Turn left at the fountain and follow the road around to Building F. We ask that you drop your donation off at the back of the building (warehouse door: F3b). You’ll find us at the welcome mat.
Host A Collection Day:
We work with schools, faith communities, and businesses to host Collection Days. If you would like to host one, please email Matt Meron, at firstname.lastname@example.org.