Restart Kits Program
Refugees arrive to Oregon with few possessions, and have to quickly build their lives again. Restart kits are plastic tubs filled with essential household items, and a complete set is formed by eight unique restart kits – one for each area of the home. The kits are received by newly arriving families and individuals, meeting a tangible need and communicating a message of welcome better than anything else initially can. It’s a first step in saying, “You are not alone. We are for you. You are welcome here.”
Needed Restart Kits & Other Items
• Kitchen 1: 100
• Kitchen 2: 100
• Personal Care: 78
• Bathroom: 99
• Twin Bedding: 246
• Queen Bedding: 0
• Cleaning: 79
• Welcome: 99
• Baby (diaper sizes 5 & 6): 5
• School Supplies (K-5): 0
• School Supplies (Middle School & High School): 0
• Laptop (2018 or newer): 10
• Gift Cards to Fred Meyer or Target: Always accepting in increments of $25, up to $250 per gift card.
How To Build A Restart Kit
• View the Restart Kits List or School Supplies List and choose the one you want to build.
• Gather new items and place them in a plastic tub or box that can close. Please do not tape the container.
• Consider including a handwritten and unsealed welcome note with your kit, after reading our Welcome Note Guidelines.
• Label the top of the container with the restart kit name.
• Drop off at the next Collection Day! Fill out the RSVP Form with what restart kit(s) you’re bringing.
Refugee Care Collection Days
These events are hosted at our Tigard Warehouse: 10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, Portland, OR 97223.
• Saturday, October 21st from 10am-1pm
• Saturday, November 18th from 10am-1pm
We ask that you drop your donation off at the back of the building (warehouse door: F3b). You’ll find us at the welcome mat!
Host A Collection Event
We partner with faith communities, schools, and businesses to gather restart kits for newly arriving families. If you would like to host a Collection Event with your community and gather 10 or more restart kits, learn more here and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!