Build Restart Kits
Refugees arrive to the United States with very little and they have to quickly begin their lives over again. Restart kits are a significant part of us welcoming and honoring them in Portland. The kits are filled with essential items that give refugees the start of what they need to rebuild their lives here.
There are restart kits for every major area of the home: kitchen, bathroom, cleaning, baby, personal care, as well as a welcome kit. The hope is that these kits would bring honor to refugees coming to Portland, reflect their dignity, while also meeting a very tangible need. We ask that you only collect new items for these kits. It’s a great opportunity to invite your friends, work teams, or small groups to build a kit together!
How To Build A Restart Kit:
• View the Restart Kit List and choose the one you want to build. (Kitchen 2, bathroom, and cleaning kits are the most needed.)
• Gather items and place them in a box or plastic tub that can close, but do not tape the container shut.
• Consider including a hand-written and unsealed welcome note with your kit. Please review the Welcome Note Tips first.
• Label the top of the container with the restart kit name.
• Drop the kit off at the next Collection Day!
Refugee Care Collection Days:
• Saturday, May 20th from 12-2:45 PM
• Saturday, June 17th from 12-2:45 PM
• Saturday, July 22nd from 12-2:45 PM
Drop off your restart kit at 10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, Portland, OR 97223. (Turn left at the fountain and follow the road around to Building F.)
You can also buy a restart kit for a family and let us gather the items for you!
We also accept gift cards to IKEA, Fred Meyer, Trader Joe’s, and Winco. Bring the gift cards to a Collection Day or mail them to: Refugee Care Collective, Attn: Megan Tragethon, 10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, Portland, OR 97223.