Restart Kits Program
Refugees arrive to Oregon with few possessions, and have to quickly build their lives again. Restart kits are plastic tubs filled with essential household items. There are eight restart kits, one for each area of the home, that together forms a comprehensive set. The kits are distributed to local resettlement agencies, service providers, and community members who give them directly to newly arrived families and refugees in need.
With each restart kit that’s put together, we’re reminded that it’s small actions that change realities. While kits meet a practical need, they do much more. They symbolize hope and communicate the message of welcome better than anything else can. It’s a first step in saying, “You are not alone. We are for you. You are welcome here.”
To the city of Portland: We’re grateful for all the ways you continue to show up. Because of you, our refugee friends have bedding, pots and pans, bath towels, and tea. Apartments have been turned into homes. The burden of adapting to life in a new country is shared, and our newest neighbors from across the world know that you are for them.
How To Build A Restart Kit:
• View the Restart Kit List and choose the one you want to build. (We have a general need for all kits, but usually lack twin and queen bedding.)
• Gather new items and place them in a plastic tub or box that can close. Please do not tape the container.
• Consider including a handwritten and unsealed welcome note with your kit, after reviewing our Welcome Note Tips.
• Label the top of the container with the restart kit name.
• Drop the kit off at the next Collection Day!
• You can also buy a restart kit for a family online and let us gather the items for you, or give gift cards from IKEA, Trader Joe’s, Winco, Target, or Fred Meyer. Bring the gift cards to a Collection Day or mail them to the warehouse address below (addressed to Refugee Care Collective).
Refugee Care Collection Days:
• Saturday, June 16th, 12-3pm *
• Sunday, June 24th: Bridgetown Church. Info here.
• Sunday, July 1st: World Domination Summit
• Saturday, July 21st, 12-3pm *
• Monday, July 23rd: Portland First Church
• Saturday, August 18th, 12-3pm *
* – The Refugee Care Collective warehouse is located at 10160 SW Nimbus Ave, Suite F-3, Portland, OR 97223. Turn left at the fountain and follow the road around to Building F. We ask that you drop your donation off at the back of the building (warehouse door: F3b). You’ll find us at the welcome mat.
Host A Collection Day:
We work with schools, faith communities, and businesses to host Collection Days. If you would like to host one, please email Megan Tragethon, at email@example.com.